The role of the Proofreading Supervisor is to lead all efforts related to Proofreading within the agency.
Proofreading responsibilities span all areas within the agency and include, but are not limited to, digital
products such as websites, emails, landing pages, and mobile applications; printed products such as
collateral, direct mail, and special media; filmed products such as broadcast media and more.
This role is responsible for managing the Proofreading team and its priorities as well as serving as the
lead proofreader in the agency. In the lead Proofreader role, this person is responsible for reading
content for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style and brand, and for validating the accuracy and
completeness of changes and content, as well as overall consistency in copy and design/formatting.
This person will maintain brand standards and preference documents for each client in addition, best
practices for the proofreader’ disciplines and agency reference files.
The Proofreading Supervisor is responsible for the establishment, documentation and management of
the intake and workflow of all Proofreading tasks (large to small) within the agency. While the
Proofreading Supervisor will be involved in proofreading at a hands-on level, this role will also be
responsible for managing the Proofreading team and work pipeline. This will require knowing each of
the team member’s capabilities well, making assignments as appropriate, and managing the timely
and accurate delivery of all proofreading tasks.
Most agency deliverables are required to be approved by the Quality Assurance team, which includes
Proofreading. The Proofreading Supervisor will be very engaged at a cross-functional level with all
teams throughout the agency and ensure the proofreading workflow is known and understood, and
that all required deliverables are passing through the Proofreading pipeline.
The Proofreading Supervisor will also be responsible for managing the most current content updates,
forms and other documents for ThomasARTS’ Intranet site and shared file servers. In this capacity,
the Proofreading Supervisor will serve as a librarian for internal content, not being required to make all
updates and create documents or forms, but for the management and distribution of all such assets.
The ideal candidate has 2+ years of agency experience and can manage a pipeline of multiple projects
simultaneously, while erring on the side of over communication, adhering to strict deadlines and
always putting our clients first.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defines most efficient workflows to ensure thorough proofreading
- Effectively communicates expectations to team members and stakeholders regularly
- Establishes a high standard for the quality of each type of deliverable output through production
- Collaborates with teams and stakeholders in planning projects to meet the rigorous proofreading deadlines
- Tracks and communicates all project milestones and deliverables
- Delegates and assigns work to other proofreaders as appropriate
- Defines success criteria and disseminates these to involved parties throughout project life cycle
- Develops best practices and tools for proofreading
- Estimates the resources and participants needed to achieve and sustain production pipeline
- Drafts and submits budget proposals, and recommends subsequent budget changes where necessary
- Manages and trains team to manage Proofreading workflow for projects from beginning to end
- Identifies and resolves issues and conflicts within the project team as needed
- Evolves workflows as needed to meet the demands of the business
- Remains aware of industry best practices and innovation in the space of testing and applies to processes as appropriate
- Validate the accuracy and completeness of changes to all documentation produced by the agency
- Provide precise and timely review of marketing materials for accurate use of logic, composition, style and brand
- Must be able to check, monitor and maintain brand consistency
- Must be able to provide copy refinement recommendations when appropriate or necessary
- Assist in maintaining consistency and standards in language and format by working with the account teams and other members of the QA/proofreading team
- Must be adept at managing and prioritizing a high volume of work under tight deadlines
- Maintain solid relationships with team members, as well as internal clients and others in the agency
- This position will require overtime including weekends and sometimes holidays to meet client deadlines. Busiest season is typically June through October.
- Manages and maintains all internal shared documents and forms on Intranet and file volumes
- Must be capable of managing small team, pipeline and own projects
- English or related degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years proofreading experience, ideally in an advertising agency or health care financial services setting
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment in essential — must be able to work cross-functionally across multiple service disciplines, including accounts and creative
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments
- Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Must be personable
- Willing to learn new technologies
- Familiarity with Associated Press Stylebook
- Exceptional attention to detail, and ability to focus for long periods
- Excellent command of the English language, coupled with an ability to recognize proprietary styles
- Significant knowledge of layout, design and typography
- The ability to electronically markup PDFs with changes
- Service-oriented and focused on satisfying the needs of the greater department
- Sound judgment and decision making
- Excellent and clear communicator
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- On-call availability including evenings and weekends
- Periodic and seasonal changes in volume of pipeline
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Occasional high pressure to deliver products
- Occasional travel (2-3 times per year) within the U.S.
Reports to: Director of Engineering Operations